In case you missed it, here is Part One.
When we left off, I was expecting a very expensive surgery to save the life of my little kitty. When I had last spoken to the hospital administrator, she informed me that due to scheduling that they would be doing the ultrasound around midday and would call me as soon as it was finished.
Noon came and went. 1pm came and went. 2pm came and went. Finally around 2:45, the phone rang.
The ultrasound showed that Mica did in fact, have foreign material in her intestine. But the good news was that in comparison with the xray taken on monday night, that the material appeared to be moving through on it’s own, albeit slowly. It was not blocking her intestine and she did not seem uncomfortable. The vet wanted to keep her one more night (to the tune of an additional $200) and hopefully she would pass the material on her own overnight, or at least move it far enough down that they could remove it manually.
The vet said I could come visit her if I wanted, to which I replied of course! I knew it was going to be tough seeing my baby in a cage, but I wanted her to know that I didn’t abandon her and that she was going to be alright and coming home soon. My little patient:
I reluctantly left after a few hours with her and promised I would be back in the morning to take her home, hopefully for good. I left the vet sad, but hopeful that it would all be over soon, she would feel better, and I would be able to bring her home.
This morning, I went and picked her up at the vet. They gave her some anti-nausea medication to keep her from vomitting and hopefully hold off dehydration so she could expel whatever was in her intestine. I was advised to watch her for the next 24 hours and if she still hadn’t expelled at that point, to bring her back in for surgery.
I no sooner got her home when she started vomitting again. At this point I was completely panicked and knew that I had to do something, she couldn’t keep going like this.
I called around to a bunch of different vets to see if anyone could do the surgery for less than the emergency center had quoted me. Finally I found one close to my house that would do the surgery for $2500, but their surgeon was only on site until 1pm so I had to make the decision to bring her in right then. My friend Beth told me to go with my gut so that’s what I did…I threw my sneakers on and put a very unhappy kitty back into her crate and headed off to surgery.
After several hours of waiting to see if she was alright and see what the hell she had swallowed, the doctor finally called me.
The obstruction was actually fecal matter in a U shape that had hooked around her appendix (not actually called her appendix, but it’s the kitty version of the appendix) and was dangling into her colon, which was what was causing the vomitting. The doctor also took small biopsies of her colon, stomach, and intestine just in case the vomitting didn’t stop and tests could be run to see if she had the kitty equivalent of irritable bowel syndrome.
In the meantime, she is spending the night at the vet’s on an IV drip and recovering.
Total cost of saving the life of my cat: $4600
Total value of still having my cat: Priceless.
Final updates to come later on Thank you all for your support and reading my less than appetizing story of my cats bowel movements and vomitting.